There is no doubt that humans can have dogs as a best friend, but yes, sometimes, a human may get allergic to certain breeds due to the hair fall or dander issue that dog often has.
Now coming to the very known breed Shih Tzu, people often wonder Are Shih Tzus Hypoallergenic dog breed; the answer is yes, certainly the breed is hypoallergenic.
But always remember, there is no such breed that can be a complete hypoallergenic one.
And that is why it is important to keep in mind that certain precautionary measures can control the symptoms. Here are few things that you must know before you get Shih Tzu at home.
Shih Tzu: A Hypoallergenic breed
As said earlier, many humans often get allergic to certain breeds of dogs due to their dander issue and not their fur. But there is no such dog breed that is completely hypoallergenic. In that case, most people who are usually allergic to dog breeds can have Shih Tzu because it is one of the hypoallergenic breeds. But this does not necessarily mean this breed can be suitable for all humans. It is always better to understand whether your body is prone to this breed and only consider buying it.
What makes Shih Tzu a hypoallergic breed?
The only primary reason that makes this breed a hypoallergenic one is their hair-like coating, opposite to that of a regular dog fur. Usually, people who have allergies may often experience certain allergic reactions depending on their skin sensitivity to a certain dog. In the end, it also depends on the tendency of the person and the way they had been maintaining the allergy instead of breeding at quite large. But there are also different ways by which it is possible to keep the dander off the Shih Tzu as much as possible.
Know the of Causes Pet Allergies
Before understanding the possible ways to maintain a breed like Shih Tzu, it is important to understand the possible reason for the pet allergies. Often people are in the misconception that the fur of the dog is what usually causes the allergies.
There are certain allergens present in the dander of the pet and also sometimes in urine and saliva. Hence, there is no specific characteristic of deciding whether the dog is a hypoallergenic one. Other than this, if the individual’s immunity system gets compromised at any point, the chances of getting allergies are also high.
So many dogs are often not much prone to being set off on individual allergies. Still, since all dogs have urine, dander, and saliva, it is not easy to differentiate which dog could be a hypoallergenic breed. Breeds like Shih Tzu are extremely well-managed breeds and often tend to wander around the house. They have a playful nature and can be kept engaged with the right set of toys if offered.
Understanding all about Shih Tzu
Tolerance for Heat
Shih Tzu is one of those unique breeds that even humans with pet allergies can keep around. But they are quite vulnerable to the problem of overheating. Since this long nose breed has quite good hair, they are advised to be kept indoors, especially in an air condition or fan room. Even in the hot season, it is advised to pay extra attention to take care of such a breed so they will not suffer from any exhaustion, especially because of the heat.
To keep this breed active, it is important to pay proper attention to it. Such breed usually doesn’t have any aim except to follow their owners wherever they walk on to. They often need quite a good companionship, and to keep them engaged, play sessions are important. This breed needs ample attention to stay happy and can do whatever it takes to get the owner’s attention.
Tips to control allergies
Even if this breed is hypoallergenic, some people who have an extreme range of allergies are likely to have certain allergic reactions to such allergy friendly breed. Thankfully some steps can be followed to ensure that allergies are under control even when a breed like Shih Tzu becomes a part of the family.
The first thing to do is spend as much time with the dog before getting it home. This would give an idea of what level of issues you can face once the breed starts staying 24*7.
Taking care of the dog
As a responsible owner, it is important to make sure that this breed is well-groomed. The primary reason for allergy is the dander of the pet. That is why you must focus on keeping the dander of the Shih Tzu as little as possible. To do this, grooming is important. There are different types of grooming tools that can be made use of. Mentioning below are a few of those:
- It is also possible to take the dog to the pet salon, where the experts can groom it from the root.
- Other than grooming, brushing the dog every few days is important too. This would reduce allergies. It is good to brush the dog regularly. This would help in keeping excess dander and hair off from the furniture and floor. Along with regular brushing, it is good to make sure the coat of the Shih Tzu is maintained and trimmed down short always. You can also consider giving your Shih Tzu a regular puppy cut that works the best.
- Bathing is another important task to be done. It is important to make sure that the dog’s skin doesn’t get too dry, as the chances of shedding and flaking are high. That is why it is important to use a natural moisturizing shampoo for the dog. This would help get rid of excess hair and dander as well. Once the shampooing is done, using a conditioner is advised. It would moisturize the skin and coating very well.
- Of all other things, the most important one is to make sure your pet always stays hydrated. If your dog is hydrated, the skin will not be dry, and the problem of shedding will be in control.
Taking care of the house
Now what you learned above is to take care of your fur baby but equally important is to take care of the house. For this, make sure you follow the steps given below:
- Focus on improving the indoor air for which HVAC air filter is the best option. This way, you will have allergen-free air to breathe, and your risk of having allergies will be reduced.
- Always vacuum your home. It is good to do so once a week. This way, all kinds of dust, dirt, and allergens will be eradicated from the root itself.
- It is good to have a different room where you can play with your pet. At least the hair falls and dander trouble all over the home will reduce.
- Use a natural fragrant-based floor cleaner. The cleaner that comes with the chemical ingredients may cause further reactions, and that is why it is better to choose a smart option.
Other Important Factors to Consider
Can Shih Tzus be 100% hypoallergenic
Since humans are often allergic to the pet’s dander and not the hair or the dog fur, there is no such breed that can be completely hypoallergenic. But in the case of Shih Tzu, this is the best breed for those who have been suffering from allergies and hence are said to be hypoallergenic dogs.
Chances of being allergic to Shih Tzu
Such a breed gets afflicted by allergies that can create inflammation or itching in the ears or anywhere else. It is good to go for early diagnoses and treat such problems. If there is less pain and discomfort, then the pet will also not suffer much.
Shedding problems of Shih Tzus
Because of the hair fall problem, many people are not sure if the Shih Tzus can shed. But hair is not the problem since they don’t shed much as other breeds and can only have noticeable hair fall when given a bath or are brushed.
For people who usually have allergies but love dogs; and want to have one at home, Shih Tzu can be one ideal breed for you all. Such dogs usually don’t cause any allergic reaction, even when they have quite a good hair length. So maybe next time, you can consider the tips above and follow some precautionary measures and consider getting Shih Tzu as a new family member.