Often called Wheatie, these energetic, adorable, and happy-go-lucky soft coated wheaten terriers are associated with Ireland.
Their sparkling color and unusual, low-shed coat make them stand out from other canine breeds.
High-spirited and friendly, they have the enthusiasm to stay around people and need balanced and complete nutrition to maintain their energy levels the whole day.
Unfortunately, some Wheaties are susceptible to allergies. Therefore, as a dog parent, you should be informed of his overall health condition.
If your sweetie happens to be sensitized, their food may require some changes to their dietary requirements.
The best dog food for wheaten terriers with allergies should be your top priority to guarantee their health.
The food must be AAFCO compliant, cost-effective, and created with premium quality ingredients (primarily meat).
It should have a seamless blend of protein and fats followed by vital minerals, vitamins, omega fatty acids, and antioxidants.
It is better to feed them hypoallergenic or limited ingredient food to help manage their skin problems caused by environmental and food sensitivities.
Let’s take a peek at our carefully chosen and well-balanced homemade dog food for wheaten terriers that offer exceptional quality at a reasonable price tag.
Best Dog Food For Wheaten Terriers With Allergies
1. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food Sensitive Stomach & Skin
Hill’s Science diet dry dog food is the number 1 vet-recommended dry kibble for Wheaties with allergies.
It is a remarkable source of prebiotic fiber that encourages a healthy gut microbiome in mature canines, so you can trust it blindfolded.
The brand comprehends what pooches need to enjoy a healthy and active life.
That’s why; they have been rocking the pet food industry since 1939.
We liked it because it is designed to be highly digestible and boosts nutrient absorption.
This natural and delicious formulation is prepared with barley and chicken, so it will tame the sensitizations and aid in healing the skin and body.
The kibble is rich in omega fatty acids and vitamin E, so it will help them have glossy fur and nourished skin.
Remember, if your little one is allergic to chicken, grains, or eggs, this recipe will not work for him.
- Protein 25.9%: Transfers and deposits nutrients.
- Fat 16%: Important energy source.
- Fiber 1.3%: Keeps stool movement regular.
- Vitamin E 800 IU/KG: Shields cells from damage.
2. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach
This dry canine food is another vet-recommended recipe that comes at a very reasonable price.
Its primary ingredient is salmon, and there are no preservatives, artificial colors, flavors, soy, wheat, and corn. Also, it is free from byproduct meals.
Many people have appraised it as responsible for dismissing their mongrel’s allergies. It also improves their coat, making it thicker and shinier.
It works for the majority of wheaten terriers with food allergies. This tasty kibble boasts a prebiotic fiber that supports stomach health.
An impeccable fat and protein ratio is prudently applied to it to help hounds accomplish ideal body conditions.
Now, if we talk about its flavor, it is a rice and salmon-flavored recipe intended for mature wheaten terriers.
Besides, fish oil (an optimal source of omega fatty acids) promotes mobility and strengthens the joints.
Zinc is also present in it that nourishes their coat and skin.
- Protein 26%: Heals wounds.
- Fat 16%: Keeps blood pressure in control.
- Calcium 1%: Makes bones strong.
3. Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Wellness core natural grain-free dry dog food will conclude your hunt for the best dog food with wheaten terriers with allergies.
This mouthwatering mixture of stellar quality nutrients will ensure a complete and balanced diet.
Your sweetheart will have high energy levels after eating it. Protein in this formula comes from turkey and chicken.
On the other hand, it features glucosamine and chondroitin that play an enormous role in the appropriate development and functioning of joints.
Omega fatty acids from flaxseed oil and salmon make their fur thick and skin healthy.
This probiotic kibble ensures a healthy gastrointestinal system.
Pet parents love it because it helps them keep their dog’s weight in control.
Some people have noticed that beet pulp in this food has made their canines’ stools firm and improved their consistency.
Furthermore, it is famous for diminishing skin inflammation and giving mutts more energy to perform the exercise.
- Protein 34%: Improves immunity.
- Fat 16%: Provides omega fatty acids.
- Fiber 4%: Important for intestinal health.
- Vitamin A 25,000 IU/KG: Promotes retinal health.
4. Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Sensitive Systems
Are you on a restricted budget but want high-quality dry dog food for your wheaten terrier?
Then, Purina ONE smart blend natural sensitive systems and skin is the only food you need.
If you are trying to identify a specific protein your good-looking dog is sensitive to, you can rely on it.
Just like other foods mentioned in this guide, it also concentrates on the easier digestion of nutrients.
It has salmon as the leading ingredient, and it is an omega-dense recipe that can make their coat and skin healthy and beautiful.
If your canine has a chicken or beef allergy, this dry kibble will help.
The organization has outshined once again, this time with a 31.1 lb bag – a natural formula for wheaten terrier food allergies.
Its taste is remarkable, so you can be certain that your dog will gobble it up in an instant.
We love it because it is made without fillers, preservatives, and other harmful ingredients.
Purina one smart blend is 100% organic with minerals, vitamins, and other essential nutrients.
Antioxidants in this food support a strong immune system, and glucosamine makes the joints strong.
- Protein 26%: Required for the structure, function, and regulation of organs and tissues.
- Fat 16%: Helps absorb vitamins.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids 0.7%: Lowers the odds of heart diseases.
5. Zesty Paws Allergy Immune Supplement for Dogs
If you think that none of the above-mentioned best dog food for wheaten terriers with allergies is a great fit for your little one, or you don’t want to transition their food entirely, you should try a zesty paws allergy immune supplement.
These supplements are enriched with EpiCor that delivers vitamins, fiber, protein, and antioxidants.
We all know that all these nutrients support the body’s natural defenses to stabilize the immune system and keep them healthy and fit.
This product outshines because allergy medications for hounds are extremely expensive, whereas this supplement does not put a burden on your wallet.
However, they give slow results, so don’t anticipate overnight outcomes.
If your baby is displaying signs of allergy, you must consider these.
- Apple Cider Vinegar 75 MG: Reduces itchy skin.
- Salmon Oil 70 MG: Provides support for dry, flaky skin in dogs with allergies.
- Colostrum 250 MG: Boosts wound healing and cellular repair.
Nutritional Requirements Of Wheaten Terriers
These stunning canines are full of life and bubbly; they require a nutritious diet.
If you are buying the food from the store, it should be of great quality.
Otherwise, you can prepare food at home by taking guidance from an expert veterinarian.
Avoid empty calories because they enhance the hazard of obesity.
- The primary ingredient of their diet should be animal-based protein. A labeled whole protein source is often very easy to digest and makes it effortless for you to pinpoint if your hound has allergies. Meat meals are also good enough, but they should also be mentioned.
- Fats are critical for them because they provide them the energy and support their skin and coat health. It softens the skin and inhibits itchiness. The coat also becomes softer and healthier and will not be too thin to keep brushing.
- It should have glucosamine and chondroitin to help avert joint damage and heal joints that have degenerated with growing age. Prebiotics and probiotics support their immunity system.
- Fruits and veggies are an incredible source of fiber for improved digestion and supply vital vitamins and minerals to support other bodily systems.
What Sort Of Allergies Do Wheaten Terriers Have?
Just like other dog breeds, wheaten terriers also experience health issues and different types of allergies.
According to AKC, they are the first on the list of eleven hypoallergenic dog breeds.
Their health conditions and allergies require some distinctive food to guarantee a healthy and happy life.
Considering their health problems, they live up to the age of 15 years.
The most common issues that you may have in your pooch are skin and food allergies.
They have sensitivities to some foods, such as grains (soy, wheat, or corn), egg, dairy, certain protein sources (chicken, beef, or lamb), and some vegetables.
If your four-legged companion has a food sensitivity, it means his immune system misidentifies a protein or grain from his food as an intruder rather than a food ingredient that instigates an immune reaction.
If this is the situation for your beloved family member, the intruder will end up causing watery eyes, skin infections, ear infections, vomiting, upset stomach, and much more.
However, food allergies are not the only reasons for these signs, and several other reasons are more prevalent than food sensitivities.
These sensitizations are impossible to avoid and prevent. Luckily, they are very easy to handle.
However, these beautiful mutts develop uncommon skin problems.
If your hound keeps licking his paws, scratching his body, or losing hair, he possibly has a skin allergy.
Their body’s defense system overreacts to certain materials and manifests through allergic responses.
These allergies can be from their surroundings or the consumption of different types of foods.
The common signs of skin allergies include itchy scabs, black skin spots, warts, atopic dermatitis, stomach problems, vomiting, diarrhea, skin redness, inflammation, etc.
How To Diagnose Food Allergies In Wheaten Terriers?
The ideal way to figure out if your dog is allergic to his food is to work with the vet in observing his new strict diet.
The diet should be the one that your furry buddy has never consumed previously.
You can feed them foods with hydrolyzed proteins or refined ones to eliminate the parts that are anticipated to provoke allergies.
You must feed him the new diet for at least a month, but sometimes longer.
If his allergy signs improve significantly, reintroduce his old diet to make sure he is allergic to any ingredient in his old food.
How To Purchase The Best Dog Food For Wheaten Terriers With Allergies?
To purchase the right food, you need to remember several factors.
High-quality diets specifically designed for this medium-sized breed make pet parents less concerned about their verdicts.
All canines are different, so you should make a list of all the important factors that will direct your selection.
Their nutritional requirements modify depending on their age, weight, health condition, lifestyle, etc.
- It should meet the nutritional standards of AAFCO. Avoid feeding your little one any formulation that does not comply with these minimum standards. You can determine if a product is approved by the Association of American Feed Control Officials by looking for a dietary adequacy statement on the packaging.
- After confirming it is AAFCO approved, make sure that it is appropriate for your wheaten terrier according to his age. For instance, puppy recipes that meet AAFCO standards are not suitable for adult and senior dogs.
- Their food should revolve around premium quality protein. Today, many brands use focused vegetable proteins to reduce expenditures. Unluckily, plant-based proteins often lack the vital amino acids pooches need.
- Companies arrange the food ingredient labels by precooked weight. Hence, the first few ingredients make up the largest portion of the food. Buy recipes that list superior quality animal protein sources within the primary ingredients. The main ingredients should forever be chicken, beef, lamb, fish, etc.
- Furthermore, it should have real fruits and veggies along with omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and antioxidants. The diet loaded with essential vitamins and minerals will help your mongrel fight against viruses and bacteria.
- Before buying the dry dog food, you should confirm that if it has preservatives such as tocopherol, you don’t have to be concerned about its quality dropping at all.
- If the diet is 100% organic, buy smaller packs. You can purchase 3 to 4 bags at least for a month, depending on your mutt’s daily food intake.
- The best dog food for wheaten terriers with allergies includes hypoallergenic ingredients, or diets are created with the nutritional requirements of delicate canines in mind.
- Some Wheaties are hypersensitive to chicken or beef; in that case, it is better to avoid them. Opt for alternative animal protein sources that may work well for your furry baby, such as salmon, venison, turkey, kangaroo, rabbit, etc.
- Many wheaten terriers are allergic to grains, so you should feed them a grain-free diet that does not have soy, wheat, corn, etc. These ingredients often trigger allergic responses in hounds, which may manifest as skin itchiness, watery eyes, or upset stomach.
- When it comes to dog treats, serve hypoallergenic treats to canines with allergies. The market is flooded with grain-free treats with minimal ingredients. They help you lower his exposure to dangerous chemicals and synthetic flavors and colors, which can further aggravate canines with allergies.
- These adorable dogs are prone to sensitivities, so it is an excellent idea to prepare their meal at home. This way, you can have more control over what is included in his daily diet.
- If your allergic pooch is a picky eater, find a flavor that he loves and works best for him within the limitations that his hypersensitivities present.
- If he has a health problem or food allergy, never purchase food without reading the ingredients mentioned on the label. Also, never feed him a new diet without consulting with an experienced vet.
- Depending on your wheaten terrier’s health outside his sensitizations, other food options could involve joint support formulas, protein-dense formulas, low-phosphorous recipes, weight control recipes, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Much Food Should My Wheaten Terrier Eat In A Day?
You should communicate with your vet to figure out the exact amount of food for your pooch. How much they should eat depends on their adult size, life stage, health condition, lifestyle, etc.
Mature wheaten terriers should consume a minimum of 2 to 3 cups of food every day, distributed equally into several small meals throughout the day.
Highly active or pregnant hounds may need more servings, and inactive or sick mutts may require fewer meals.
Seniors acquire much identical nourishment, but you should feed them weight control formulas if they have become obese. Their food should also contain glucosamine and chondroitin to fight joint problems.
2. What Ailments My Wheaten Terrier Is Disposed To?
They commonly have protein-related illnesses, so you should guarantee that you provide them the best dog food for wheaten terriers with allergies that are loaded with protein.
If they are allergic to chicken or beef, choose venison, lamb, fish, etc., as the main protein source. These meats are dense with vitamin B, zinc, and other nutrients.
3. Can My Wheaten Terrier Have A Delicate Digestive System?
4. Should I Feed A Grain-Free Diet To My Wheaten Terrier?
5. How Can I Make My Picky Wheaten Terrier Eat Food?
We recommend you choose foods with more meaty ingredients because they are more tempting and enjoyable for hounds.
6. How many exercises Should My Wheaten Terrier Do?
7. How Many Calories Do Wheaten Terriers Need In A Day?
Balanced nutrition aims to support appropriate development, meet dietary needs, and prevent excessive weight. An adult hound needs almost 880 calories in a day.
8. Are Wheaten Terriers Hypoallergenic?
Their soft and luscious fur is not susceptible to extreme shedding, as long as you feed them a healthy diet that supports coat health. Furthermore, their skin generates a moderate amount of dander.
9. Which Fruits And Vegetables Are Safe For Wheaten Terriers?
10. Is It A Wise Idea To Feed Home-Cooked Food To Wheaten Terriers?
The leading firms produce high-quality foods under the supervision of experts to guarantee they have all the vital nutrients your mongrel needs.
Needless to say, they use superior quality ingredients and offer an assortment of flavors to convince even picky eaters.
However, if you want to feed them home-cooked food, remember that it takes a lot of time and effort to make food regularly.
You can consult with the vet for the mixture and great quality ingredients to make homemade foods healthier.
Wheaten terriers are wonderful playing companions of children, but some of them have allergies.
Before buying the best dog food for wheaten terriers with allergies, carefully recite the label and see which ingredients are used for producing it.
Usually, vets recommend grain-free, hypoallergenic, or limited ingredients diets depending on the allergy of your cutie pie.
Always confirm that your hound has an allergy. If not, you should talk to the vet and ask for his suggestions about the appropriate dry food for your canine according to his dietary needs.
Our detailed article might help you select the best foods and understand what he exactly needs.